By Lisa M. Najavits
#5083. Women and girls are now becoming addicted at greater rates than ever before – and until very recently women in recovery relied on treatment models based solely on work with men. Harvard addiction and trauma expert Lisa M. Najavits, Ph.D., offers a program to help women explore the often-overlooked problems associated with their alcohol and drug addictions – such as body image, trauma and violence, relationships, stress, and thrill-seeking.
She explores how women differ from men in their addiction and recovery, and conveys a supportive tone to help them embark on the journey to healing. Highlights of the book include:
- How women differ from men in addiction
- Identifying life patterns that are related to addiction
- Exploring growth exercises to heal from addiction
- Understanding co-occurring disorders
- Controlling impulses
- Seeking support
- Taking charge of your life
196 pages. October 2002.