By Ron and Caryl Krannich, Ph.Ds
The Internet has fast become the traveler’s best and most trusted friend. Whether you want to book airline tickets, make hotel reservations, select a top restaurant, learn foreign language phrases, check airline schedules, review subway routes, or just dream about your next great adventure, the Internet is there to help you 24 hours a day.
With a click of a mouse, you can instantly visit New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, London, Paris, Rome, Cairo, Singapore, Sydney, or Beijing. You can explore the oceans, climb mountains, join a safari, go whitewater rafting, shop great markets, ski your favorite slopes, or discover how to access your email at 30,000 feet – all from the comfort of your home or office.
For travelers, the Internet is the ultimate empowerment tool – a unique means to formulate dreams and make them come true. For the truly savvy Internet users, the Internet is a lifeline to an incredible world of travel that becomes even more exciting as they explore thousands of intriguing travel websites.
This book puts it all together with unusual insight and analysis, from identifying key search engines and mailing lists to acquiring essential travel tools, exploring fabulous destinations, and predicting the coming Internet travel wars and the future role of travel agents.
Identifying over 2,000 key websites dealing with travel, two leading travel experts take travelers on a different type of adventure that focuses on the best travel sites on the Internet. They lead readers step-by-step through the chaos and clutter of cyberspace where they discover:
- dozens of key search engines and directories
- thousands of newsgroups and mailing lists
- numerous gateway travel sites and communities
- special interest travel and activities
- travel information and tips
- online guidebooks and travel media
- transportation and accommodations
- travel agents, tour operators, and suppliers
Whether you are a budget or luxury traveler, business or leisure traveler, or independent or group traveler, Travel Planning on the Internet reveals a wealth of online resources to help you both plan and implement your adventures. Used wisely and often, both at home and abroad, this book should save you lots of time and money. Best of all, you’ll join a travel revolution that will help make your travel dreams come true! This title is part of our “Click and Easy Series.” 267 pages. 2001.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Savvy Internet Traveler
- Getting Started in the Right Direction
- Virtual Travel Communities
- Gateway Travel Sites
- Travel Communities
- Special Interest Travel and Activities
- Travel Basics and Tools
- Travel Guidebooks and Bookstores
- Major Travel Media
- Air, Sea, and Land Transportation
- Middlemen and Their Key Suppliers
- Great Destinations