Immersed in technology and caught up in the impulse of the moment, a teenager sends a sexually explicit text message to one of his or her classmates…and ruins a life in a matter of seconds. Exaggeration? Sadly, no.
This collection, on one DVD, of six ABC News segments makes clear to viewers the dangers involved in what has become known as sexting – a form of spontaneous free expression which, all too often, becomes a digital avenue for bullying, harassment, and self-destructive behavior.
Parents, educators, legal authorities, and teens all take part in these illuminating and sometimes disturbing stories. Contains mature content. Viewer discretion is advised. Clip duration ranges from 2 to 10 minutes.
Video clips include:
- Sexting and Teens – A look at the disturbing trend of kids snapping lewd photos with their phonesand the legal fallout. Vicky Mabrey visits a Pennsylvania town in which a teenage girl and other students face charges for what they see as harmless texting.
- The Consequences of Sexting – Twenty percent of teens admit to engaging in X-rated text messaging. Gigi Stone reports on two teen boys who forwarded nude photos of a female classmate and will likely be charged with transmission of child pornography.
- Sexting Spreading Among Teens – Sending explicit pictures using cell phones is becoming increasingly popular among young people. Gigi Stone presents stories of arrests and prosecutions from around the country.
- Teen Sex Gone Viral – A profile of 18-year-old Phillip Alpert, who was forced to register as a sex offender after being convicted of trafficking in child porn – specifically, photos of his 16-year-old girlfriend, emailed in a moment of anger.
- Parents Discuss Sexting with Teens – Diane Sawyer moderates a group talk involving parents, teens, and expertscovering the basic issue of sexting, its short- and long-term consequences, and ways to educate young people about steering clear of it.
- Parental Text Control – Becky Worley examines the uses and implications of software and other high-tech protective measures which can help parents prevent the unsafe use of cell phones, digital photos, and text messaging.
In English, with English-language subtitles. Total viewing time: 34 minutes. 2010. Purchase options: DVD, 3-year Streaming, or DVD and 3-year Streaming; please see the Product Options box above when ordering.
to view a preview of this program.