By Leonard M. Fuld
Your key competitor has a cost advantage and you can’t for the life of you figure out why or how. For example:
- A new technology or competitor is on the horizon that will completely upset the applecart in your business, as Google is doing in advertising and Wal-Mart has done in retailing.
- You think a key competitor may drastically drop prices or perhaps roll out a significant new product.
Competitive intelligence, the ability to see through or stay ahead of your competition, is the unspoken, hidden key to success. It is the means to knowing a customer’s strategic thinking, a rival’s cost structure when making a bid, or a competitor’s new product plans.
Much as in a game of chess, you must think many moves ahead of your rivals – exactly the advantage competitive intelligence can give you. This book provides the tools to cut through the smoke screens and rumors that distort reality and shows:
- How to avoid becoming your own worst enemy by removing blinders that can hide a competitor’s threatening moves
- How to see your competitor’s vulnerability and take advantage of the easily exploitable opportunities it presents
- How to run a war game to anticipate a rival’s pricing moves, new product introduction, or distribution strategy, and even to avoid being surprised by new entrants who play by different rules altogether