#7728 This practical six-program series helps young adults start living independently of parents and other “supervisors.” Quick and to the point, each DVD focuses on a key area of independent living.
On Your Own will leave viewers feeling more confident about making important life decisions as they prepare to take responsibility for their futures.
Correlates to all applicable National and State Educational Standards including the NCLB Act. 17-25 minutes per program. In English, with English subtitles. © 2010.
- DVDs for $99.95 each or $599.70 for 6-part series
- 3-Year Streaming Video Subscription for $99.95 each or $599.70 for 6-part series + FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING
- DVDs (6) + Streaming Videos (6) for $999.95 + FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING
The series consists of these 6 video programs:
- Finding an Apartment – What are the expenses of living in an apartment? What obligations come with signing on the dotted line? Is it good to have roommates? This video explains to first-time renters how to locate, lease, and set up an apartment while avoiding common problems. They’ll learn about dealing with rental agents, evaluating a units condition, reading leases, getting renters insurance, having the utilities turned on, and handling the roommate option. Information on moving and finding furniture on a budget is also included. Viewing time: 20 minutes. Click HERE to view a video clip. Click HERE to download a free instructor’s guide.
- Managing Your Money – Money management is the key to independent living. This program puts money under a microscope as it looks at budgeting it, spending it wisely, and protecting it (and, by extension, that all-important credit rating).Specifics include opening a checking account, writing checks, making deposits, and balancing a checkbook; using ATM and debit cards; applying for a loan; and deciding whether to opt for a credit card – and if so, how to use it responsibly. Viewing time: 23 minutes. Click HERE to view a video clip. Click HERE to download a free instructor’s guide.
- Practical, Healthy Cooking – Moving away from home means moving away from home-cooking, too – a fact that, surprisingly, escapes many young adults new to life on their own. After watching this video, viewers will see how easy it can be to read a recipe, measure out ingredients, prepare all sorts of meats and vegetables, package up and store leftovers, and clean up the kitchen so everything is sanitary and neat. Kitchen safety is stressed. Viewing time: 25 minutes. Click HERE to view a video clip. Click HERE to download a free instructor’s guide.
- Shopping Smart – There’s no question about it: the grocery-shopping experience can be overwhelming! This video will guide viewers smoothly through the process of planning balanced meals, making a shopping list, clipping coupons, and setting (and sticking to!) a budget. Helpful tips on stretching a dollar and sidestepping supermarket gimmicks are included, and food safety is emphasized. Viewing time: 17 minutes. Click HERE to view a video clip. Click HERE to download a free instructor’s guide.
- Housekeeping How To’s – From a dust mop and other necessary equipment, to cleaning supplies, to making (and following!) a what-and-when cleaning schedule, this video provides a step-by-step look at housekeeping. How to do laundry is also included, as well as a segment on how to clean a computer. Viewing time: 17 minutes. Click HERE to view a video clip. Click HERE to download a free instructor’s guide.
- Building the Right Wardrobe – Every outfit sends a message. This video shows how to send the right one at the appropriate time – without breaking the budget. Topics include the functional and social characteristics of clothes; the concepts of style and fashion; planning a wardrobe that accommodates work, school, and leisure; and shopping for value and price. Viewing time: 19 minutes. Click HERE to view a video clip. Click HERE to download a free instructor’s guide.
IFH & ISV
There are no reviews yet.