ISBN 978-1-57023-384-5 (softcover); 978-1-57023-391-3 (eBook)
By Ronald L. Krannich, Ph.D.
#9259 Each year nearly 250,000 servicemembers and their families leave the military. To varying degrees, they all engage in the 3 R’s of military-to-civilian transition: Re-careering, Relocating, and Retiring. While a few go directly into full-time retirement, most expect to work at least another 10, 20, or 30 years. So, what kind of employment decisions will they make? Where will they live? When and where will they retire? Faced with numerous forks in the road, most transitioning military want useful advice on making smart re-careering, relocation, and retirement decisions.
Like a good friend, Military-to-Civilian Success for Veterans and Their Families: The Ultimate Re-Imagining Guide for Making Smart Re-Careering, Relocation, and Retirement Decisions is designed to help any servicemember achieve transition success. It forces them to address the most important question about their future: What do you want to do with the rest of your life? The answers hopefully involve more than just making money or acquiring more stuff.
Successfully managing this process begins with changing their mindset about meaning and purpose in their lives. Ideally, they should find meaningful work that confirms what so many people in transition have discovered: If you pursue your passion, you’ll be happy and healthy for the rest of your life!
When it comes time to re-career, don’t just focus on finding a job that looks interesting or pays well. Instead, explore jobs that directly relate to your motivated abilities, skills, and values. This book shows how servicemembers can make that happen and thus turn their focus toward those things that are truly important in their lives.
Representing a massive expansion of the authors two military transition guides the annual Military-to-Civilian Transition Guide and The Military-to-Civilian Transition Pocket Guide (5+ million copies) this enhanced self-help and training volume is filled with timeless tips for launching a successful transition into the civilian world. It also addresses important relocation, retirement, and benefit issues.
Its 19 chapters cover the new world of work, transferable skills, best jobs, top 100 employers, attitudes, skills, goals, applications, resumes, letters, attire, online job search, job fairs, networking, interviews, salary, job offers, career advancement, overcoming setbacks, and much more. Special features include:
- 300+ military-friendly employers
- 103 compensation elements for negotiating salaries
- 47 tough interview questions you should be prepared to answer
- 40 myths and realities of the job search process
- 40 employment trends
- 25 job-keeping and advancement strategies
- 20 principles for job search success
- 19 sample resumes
- 14 things you need to know before starting a business
- 11 samples letters and focus pieces
- 7 sequential job search steps you must follow
The book also includes numerous self-assessment tests and exercises, a realistic planning and implementation time line, job search contract, weekly performance reports, advice on relocation, tips on starting a business, questions about retirement, and useful military transition resources.
- Pursue a Passionate Life With Purpose and Meaning
- Re-Imagining the Civilian Work World
- Develop a Proactive Mindset for Success
- Changing Trends, Jobs, Careers, and Employers
- Best Job and Career Alternatives for Transitioning Military
- Create and Nurture a Big Net for Success
- Select the Most Effective Job Search Approaches
- Discover the Truth About You
- Identify Your Interests and Values
- Analyze Your Motivated Abilities and Skills (MAS)
- Craft a Powerful Employer-Centered Objective
- Write Powerful Applications, Resumes, and Letters
- Research Alternative Jobs, Employers, and Communities
- Network Your Way Through the Hidden Job Market
- Interview Like a Pro
- Negotiate Salary, Benefits, and Your Future
- Survive and Thrive in Your Career
- Find Your Ideal Place to Live, Work, and Play
- Start Your Own Business
384 pages. Softcover. 6 x 9. © 2016.
PRICING: $24.95 for a single copy. QUANTITY SPECIALS: 10 copies for $224.95; 25 copies for $530.95; 50 copies for $998.00; 100 copies for $1,746.00; 250 copies for $3,742.00; 500 copies for $6,861.00; and 1,000 copies for $12,475.00.
THE AUTHOR: Ronald L. Krannich, Ph.D., is one of Americas leading career transition and travel experts who has authored more than 100 books, including several designed for servicemembers and their families: Military Transition to Civilian Success, The Military-to-Civilian Transition Guide, The Military-to-Civilian Transition Pocket Guide, The Military Spouses Employment Pocket Guide, The Military Spouses Map Through the Maze Pocket Guide, The Military Family Education Pocket Guide, The Military Family Benefits Pocket Guide, and The Military Personal Finance Pocket Guide. A former Peace Corps Volunteer, Fulbright Scholar, and university professor, Ron specializes in developing career, life skills, and education resources for the military and others in transition.
There are no reviews yet.