By Lily Madeleine Whiteman
With a whopping 200,000 people hired by the federal government each year both nationwide and overseas, the federal government is the nations largest employer. But federal jobs are not always easy to get – especially if you approach the job search process the same way you would for private sector employment.
- Locate every appealing job or promotion for which you qualifyincluding unadvertised openings.
- Impress federal hiring managers online, on paper a and in personcrucial tips culled straight from the gatekeepers!
- Model your application materials on the most persuasive résumés and door-opening cover letterseach included on the accompanying CD.
- Negotiate a top salary (often thousands of dollars a year above what is initially offered!)
- Pass formidable security clearance processes and expertly handle potentially deal-busting problems.
- Access special hiring programs for young professionals, women, veterans, and people with disabilities.
- Accelerate your rise up the federal career ladderwith pivotal advancement strategies available nowhere else.
See also: Landing a Great Federal Job (set of two books).