By John Kador
As if job interviews weren’t nerve-wracking enough, many companies, in their pursuit of the brightest and best, have begun beleaguering applicants with tests of logic, creativity, and analytical abilities. Many firms have replaced traditional interview questions such as “Tell us about yourself” or “What’s your biggest weakness?” with mind-benders such as:
- Why are beer cans tapered at both ends?
- How many piano tuners are there in the world?
- How many Ping-Pong balls can you stuff into a Boeing 747?
- How would you design a bathroom for the CEO of the company?
- If you could remove any one of the 50 U.S.states, which one would it be?
In How to Ace the Brain Teaser Interview, bestselling careers author John Kador gives readers the inside track on this new interview technique. He provides 75 puzzles actually used by HR departments across the nation, and he offers tips on how to solve them and present the solutions so as to make the best possible impression. 239 pages. 2005.