This award-winning teen pregnancy program has been completely updated and gives teens the straight story on the entire birth experience – from pregnancy and birth to parenting and child care. Direct, honest, and encouraging, this 3-volume set takes a real-world look at how teens can successfully meet the challenges of being young parents.
Vol. 1 – Pregnancy
Teaches lifestyle changes that encourage a healthy, full-term pregnancy. Topics include:
- Prenatal Check-Ups and Nutrition – finding out youre pregnant, prenatal visits, dental health, nutrition, weight gain, pregnancy warning signs
- Protect Your Baby – alcohol, tobacco, drugs, caffeine, medication, and more
- Physical and Emotional Changes – prenatal exercise, importance of sleep, signs of premature labor, emotional changes, relationship abuse
- Getting Support – friends and family, staying in school, alternative education options
Vol. 2 – Labor and Birth
Empowers teens by showing them the choices they have for labor and delivery. Topics include:
- Anatomy and Birth Process – fetal position, signs and stages of labor, labor support, positions for labor, natural labor techniques
- Medical Procedures – induction, analgesics, epidural, amniotomy, Pitocin, Cesarean birth
- Newborns – newborn appearance, skin-to-skin contact, rooming in, colostrum, lactation support
Vol. 3 – Postpartum
Helps young parents prepare for the challenges and joys of providing for a newborn. Topics include:
- Physical Recovery and Postpartum Emotions – the healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care and Behaviors – well-baby visits, feeding baby, sleeping, crying, bathing and diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (Shaken Baby Syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships and Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, and child care options
Viewing time: 30 minutes per volume. Suitable for ages 13-21. Also available in Spanish (see the Product Options box above). The English-language version is closed-captioned. 2010.
Can purchase each separately for $199.95 each, or the 3-vol. series for $499.85.