#9223 Gun violence is a growing problem among teens in America. One of the most frightening trends over the last several years has been the rise of gun-related violence at schools. A number of reasons have been cited for the emergence of this disturbing phenomenon. Some of these include the widespread availability of guns, escalating levels of violence in video games and media violence and rising levels of teen alienation and rage.
This program discusses the causes of violence in schools, gun control, and ultimately asks the question, “Do students feel safe at school?” Topics covered include:
- How safe do students feel at school?
- How easy is it for a student to bring a gun into school?
- How do teens feel about guns at school?
- Have students been exposed to guns?
- What should a student do if they know someone is planning on carrying a gun or weapon into school?
- Are students influenced by media violence?
- Should teachers be armed?
Viewing time: 20 minutes. Closed-captioned. Suitable for Grades 8-12. 2013.