DISCONTINUED — NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Created by James Sayre, M.D.
#8669. In this revealing video, real grandparents talk about the challenges of becoming the primary caretakers of their grandchildren. They discuss issues such as:
- why they decided to parent their grandchildren
- adjusting to sudden new parenting responsibilities when they thought they were finished
- the importance of finding support
- dealing with the biological parents
- legal issues they have faced
- adapting their parenting style for a new generation
- planning for the future
Among the grandparents in the video are:
- Ruby and Gene have custody of Gene’s biological teenage grandson, Derrick. Derrick’s father is an alcoholic and his mother is a drug addict. Neither of Derrick’s biological parents was ever capable of taking care of him, and Ruby and Gene have essentially raised him from birth. Derrick’s mother, however, would occasionally take Derrick away from Ruby and Gene, totally disrupting his life. So they went to court to obtain legal custody of Derrick.
- Karen has had custody of her daughter’s three children since their births. Her grandchildren have severe learning disabilities and health problems because of their mother’s drug addiction. Karen always looked forward to being “Grandma,” but this isn’t what she expected.
- Mirta is raising her daughter’s three children, with help from her other daughter, Marisol. The children’s mother fled an abusive relationship, leaving them behind.
Comes with discussion guidelines. Viewing time: 28 minutes. This video is available in two versions: English or dubbed in Spanish.
This item is part of the Families Talk About…Series.
There are no reviews yet.