By Ginny NiCarthy, MSW
Since its original publication in 1982, Getting Free has become a bestseller and the most important self-help book on ending domestic violence. This book has changed the lives of tens of thousands of women.
Written in an accessible style, packed with practical information and answers, special exercises designed to help a woman recognize abuse, and several success stories, Getting Free remains an important resource today – and this updated edition makes it an all the more relevant resource.
This expanded edition features important new information from the latest studies and most recent research on the subject. New chapters include:
- an analysis of whether batterers’ treatment really works
- which programs help violent men change, and which do not
- the results of research on the ways that many men who batter also abuse their children, and specific reactions of children to battering
- the cultural and legal issues relevant to immigrant women
- a presentation of how religious beliefs and religious communities affect the real and perceived choices of women facing violence
419 pages. Softcover. 2004.