By Sheryl Garrett and Sue Hoppin
This is a how-to guide for military families who want to live to the fullest in the armed forces. Whether you’re new to the armed forces or planning your latest relocation, this plain-English handbook has expert tips for overcoming the challenges and taking advantage of the benefits unique to life in the military.
From living on a base to financial planning to deployment, you’ll discover how to get all the support your family needs.
- Grasp the boot camp basics – understand rank and military hierarchy, find your way around a base, and connect with others in the community.
- Take charge of your finances – decipher military compensation, handle your taxes, build credit, and invest for your family’s future.
- Understand your military benefits – obtain health and dental insurance, utilize the family support centers, explore retirement benefits, and more.
- Raise a happy family – from housing and childcare to education and recreation, take advantage of all the military offers.
- Handle deployments – prepare for deployment, help children cope, stay connected with your loved one, and manage stress and anxiety.
- Transition out of the military – assess the financial benefits, retire from service, and plan for your next career.
You’ll also find in the book:
- An overview of military versus civilian lifestyle.
- Your place in the military structure.
- Educational and employment opportunities.
- Family support centers, groups, and associations.
- The best benefits for military spouses.
- How to avoid scams against service members.
- A family’s guide to military acronyms.
- Programs outside the military you can turn to for support.
386 pages. Softcover. November 2008. SPECIAL: 10 copies for $179.95; please see the Product Options box above when ordering.