By Patrick J. Carnes, Ph.D.
Dr. Carnes broke new ground with Out of the Shadows. Facing the Shadow is based on the 30-task model of recovery from addiction that forms the basis of Carnes’s work; it is used by thousands of therapists with their clients to help them recover from sex addiction and live a healthier, more fulfilling life.
This newly revised and expanded edition takes readers through the first seven of those tasks, including specific performables that are built in to the exercises. The model also supports Twelve Step recovery programs. You’ll learn:
- Why denial is so powerful and what can be done to break through it
- How to face the consequences of your behaviors using recovery principles
- How to respond to change and crisis due to addiction
- How to manage life without dysfunctional behavior
- How spirituality affects recovery
- What to disclose and to whom
- How does sex addiction start and what does an addict need to know
464 pages. Softcover. 2016.