New Bully Free Classroom: Proven Prevention and Intervention Strategies for Teachers K-8 (rev. and updated 3rd edition , with CD-ROM)
Shows teachers how create a peaceful, caring classroom that promotes a sense of belonging in all students and stops bullying in its tracks.
By Allan L. Beane, Ph.D.
This updated version of the popular Bully Free Classroom takes a closer look at what bullying is and puts more emphasis on the role (and power) of bystanders. It includes a new chapter focusing on empowering bystanders to be allies to those who are being bullied.
This edition also includes:
- new examples and scenarios
- thorough examination of relational bullying
- in-depth look at cyberbullying, including specific technologies such as Facebook and texting
Because labels diminish people, Beane is careful to say "kids who bully" instead of "bullies"; "targets of bullying" instead of "victims" or "victims of bullying."
Support is provided for teachers, counselors, and supervisors, including a ready-to-use PowerPoint presentation for pre-service and in-service training. The CD-ROM contains all reproducible forms, surveys, handouts, and letters to parents and caregivers found in the book; it also has several bonus handouts geared to the youngest students.
- Chapters for empowering bystanders, helping targets, and helping those who bully
- More than 100 activities, discussions, and projects
- More than 40 reproducible handouts for students and teachers
- Up-to-date research and statistics about bullying
- Extensive references and resources
In addition to revising and updating existing activities, the author provides new activities, among which are:
- Help Students Understand Cyberbullying
- Teach Cyberbullying Prevention
- Build Awareness About Relational Bullying
- Be Aware of CliquesCope With Cliques
- Help Bystanders Understand Their Role
- Help Bystanders Develop Empathy
- Teach Bystanders Skills
- Provide Opportunities for Bystanders to Practice Skills
- Give Bystanders Assertiveness Skills
- On-the-Spot Responding
- Help Students Self-Assess Cyberbullying Traits
The New Bully Free Classroom is an excellent stand-alone resource that can also complement and support larger initiatives for bullying prevention and response, such as Responsive Classroom, the Olweus Program, and other models.
192 pages, softcover, lay-flat binding, 8.5 x 11. Comes with a CD-ROM. Perfect for educators, counselors, and youth workers. Suitable for Grades K-8.
to view a page from the book.