Facilitator's Fieldbook (3rd Edition)
The book delivers practical information on establishing ground rules, planning meetings and agendas, resolving conflict, making decisions, helping groups optimize their time - and every key mediation skill you need to know.
By Tom Justice and David W. Jamieson
Getting teams and groups to function productively is a challenge. Completely updated with 150 pages of new material, this edition of The Facilitator’s Fieldbook gives facilitators, organization development professionals, and consultants both a conceptual framework for understanding the facilitation process and the step-by-step procedures, checklists, worksheets, and sample documents to get it right.
The book delivers practical information on establishing ground rules, planning meetings and agendas, resolving conflict, making decisions, helping groups optimize their time - and every key mediation skill you need to know. You will discover in this edition:
- Character traits of successful facilitators
- Signs of dysfunction in any group dynamic and what to do about each
- Critical distinctions between regular meetings and task forces that facilitators must know
- Preparation guidelines that improve your odds for success
- A training agenda for teaching facilitation
- Meeting room layouts, and when to use each
- Activities for ensuring inclusion and participation
- Nonverbal communication cues that help you spot lies and truths
- Brainstorming and brain writing tips
- Pros and cons of absolute, consultative, expert, and modified consensus
- Guidelines for preparing and presenting recommendations
- Tips for working with virtual teams and using technology to improve facilitation
- Insights into the best contracting practices for facilitators
- Shortcuts for implementing team-building exercises
- Advice and activities for building trust
- Updates on the latest developments, such as appreciative inquiry and large-group methods
- A primer for managers on using facilitative thinking to lead their teams - and much more
For managers, trainers, and group leaders in any industry, The Facilitator's Fieldbook
is a practical, powerful book that will keep teams and groups humming along and getting results. 480 pages. Softcover. 2012.